Looking to lose weight? If so, it would be a good idea to pool in some herbs and make them permanent additions to your kitchen cabinet if you don’t already use them. Although equated with spicy Indian cuisine, herbs and spices can impart mild flavors too, and more importantly, many of these herbs have also been found to offer excellent weight loss benefits. Herbs have long been valued for their healing potential, which is why most traditional systems of medicine, including Ayurveda, include plenty of herbal remedies.
How Spices & Herbs For Weight Loss Can Help
Researchers have long been interested in the medicinal value of herbs and their therapeutic application in the treatment of various diseases. Many studies have also revealed other surprising health benefits, some of which can aid weight loss.
– Studies on spices and herbs like anise, fennel, black pepper, and ginger have been shown to increase metabolic rate by elevating thyroid function. In short herbs can boost your metabolism, thereby promoting weight loss.
– Similarly, certain spices and herbs are described as functional foods because of their digestion enhancing properties. They can improve bowel movements, thereby helping rid your body of waste and better-regulating appetite.
– Herbs prevent the accumulation of fats and also the conversion of carbohydrates to fats which would accelerate the process of fat elimination.
– Although more research is needed, some studies suggest that certain common spices and herbs can lower LDL levels (Bad cholesterol) and triglyceride levels ultimately leading to an increase in good HDL levels.
– Many herbs and spices are also known to promote dieresis, which can eliminate excess water from the urine and decrease water weight.
– Herbs and spices like ginger have also been found to help with weight loss because of possible effects on satiety. Researchers believe that this could be because of a trigger to release certain hormones or neurotransmitters to the brain.
So, now that we’ve established that there’s plenty of evidence to support the use of herbs and spices for weight loss, you can enjoy a variety of exotic flavors and watch the pounds melt away.
5 Weight Loss Herbs To Include In Your Diet
Cinnamon is not only capable of reducing and stabilizing blood sugar levels, but can keep you full for a longer duration. Overeating being one of the major causes of weight gain, this feature can help considerably with weight loss.
– You can add cinnamon to your diet in the form of cinnamon tea (mix about a teaspoon of cinnamon powder + ½ tsp raw honey )
– Cinnamon can be added smoothies
– Sprinkle some cinnamon on your oatmeal or breakfast cereal, and on fruits or yogurt
Yes, you heard it right! Black pepper contains a naturally occurring chemical substance known as piperine. Studies have shown that piperine can interfere with the genes that are responsible for generation of fats and leads to reduce fat levels in the blood. The spice is also known to help enhance digestion.
– Spice up your salad by adding some black pepper.
– Sprinkle some black pepper on grilled/steamed fish or chicken.
– Mix a Tsp of black pepper with a tsp of lime juice in a glass of warm water and consume once in a day.
Haldi milk is a popular remedy for colds and coughs that we’ve all used at some point, but the spice can do a lot more than treat common infections. Curcumin, a substance found in turmeric, is known to fasten to the capsaicin receptors and increases the thermogenesis rate. Thermogenesis is a process that takes place when the fat is burned by the central nervous system. Turmeric is also beneficial in reducing adipose tissue weight gain.
– Add turmeric powder to a glass of milk and have it before going off to bed
– Add¼ tsp of turmeric to a glass of warm water and drink it early each morning
– Use turmeric powder in curries and soups.
Ginger has a satiating effect and can act as a natural appetite suppressant. This helps ward off the feelings of hunger in between meals. Apart from this, ginger has fat burning properties and aids in accelerating your metabolism for faster weight loss. Ginger can also enhance the digestive process and helps in detoxifying the body.
– Add ginger to your salads and curries
– Make a concoction of ginger and mint leaves by adding 5-10 mint leaves and an inch of ginger to 2 cups of water; boil till reduced to 1 cup and drink it before going off to bed
– Have ½ an inch of grated ginger with ½ tsp of raw honey early each morning
Cayenne pepper, also known as chilli pepper, paprika or red pepper has been found to possess fat burning properties and it can boost your metabolism. Studies have shown that cayenne pepper can reduce your appetite thereby reducing weight gain from overeating.
– Add cayenne pepper to your soups and salads
– You can also use diced red pepper with grilled/steamed fish or chicken
– Add a pinch of it to a glass of water containing a tsp of apple cider vinegar and consume it before meals so that you eat less
While these herbs for weight loss can help you burn excess fat and will make it easier for you to lower caloric intake, for long term success and better results you should also follow a balanced diet and increase physical activity. If you’d like to reap more of the benefits of herbs, you can also include some popular herbal teas for weight loss.