You’ve probably heard some pretty amazing stories, as well as absolutely horrendous ones about the first time your friends “smoked up”. You’re not sure which category you will fall into and you’re not sure what to expect when you smoke weed for the first time. Attempting anything new can be intimidating so don’t feel embarrassed about your concerns. The most important thing to keep in mind is that marijuana is a mind-altering substance, which means that almost all the weed effects that you experience will affect your mental and emotional equilibrium. It’s important to understand the side effects of marijuana before you go ahead, or you’ll be in for a nasty shock.
What Happens When You First Smoke Weed – A Detailed Breakdown
– The first thing you will notice is that your heart starts to race. If you’re not prepared for it, it can scare the hell out of you! Marijuana raises heart rate and can even double it; this side effect of marijuana can last for up to 3 hours.
– Your mouth will get dry, very dry! This marijuana symptom is commonly referred to as cannabis cotton mouth, because it feels like you’ve been chewing on a mouthful of cotton. This is because chemical compounds called cannabinoids stop your salivary glands from producing enough saliva.
– Everything is awesome! You start to feel happy, content, and euphoric as the effects of weed kick in. The cannabinoids in pot increase release of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is often referred to as a “happy hormone” as this organic chemical induces a feeling of well-being and contentment.
– You might start to panic or get depressed. This often happens if you’ve had too much the first time around. First time users often take larger “tokes” (puffs); this is more likely if you’re used to smoking cigarettes.
– Coughing is one of the most common effects of marijuana. Since marijuana causes your mouth and throat to go dry, the smoke from a joint is more likely to irritate your throat, which results in ceaseless bouts of coughing. Most marijuana websites advise people to take small sips of water in between tokes to prevent coughing.
– Smoking pot is synonymous with the munchies! You can expect to get very hungry soon after you’ve smoked up. Most long time cannabis smokers keep a mountain of snacks ready before they light up. Your sudden and insatiable hunger is caused by the chemicals in weed that act upon the hypothalamus, which is the region in your brain that controls appetite.
– Time slows down and many smokers say that the experience is akin to endlessly floating through space. A couple of hours of listening to music while you’re high will seem like nothing more than a few minutes.
– Your high can last for hours. While the effects of pot vary from person to person, as a first time user, you are more likely to experience a high that lasts for 1-3 hours. Your high will keep increasing in intensity and generally peaks after about 30 minutes from your first drag.
While you can use your friends’ experiences to understand all the possible outcomes, don’t use it as a benchmark. While your friends might have had a great experience, you might not and conversely even if they have had a bad first experience with weed, you might have a good one. As with any new experience, it’s best to start slow. Weed affects different people differently, so it’s important to learn how marijuana affects you as an individual before you go full steam ahead.
If you liked what you read, we’ve got a lot of cool, original content lined up for you – Check us out on Facebook!
This post is part Of TheHealthOrange’s initiative to provide our readers an unbiased view towards Marijuana consumption. We recognize the fact that Marijuana use is fast becoming a lifestyle choice world over and we hold a Neutral Stand On The Issue. However we Would Like To Warn Our Readers That possession & consumption of Marijuana is illegal in India and TheHealthOrange in no way endorses the same.